Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Sweet Deal...

So, Monogram Chick not only stitches, she bakes. I love to bake. One day, not too long ago, I should have been paying closer attention to the kitchen rather than the ten other things I was doing at the time. After I stuck the brown sugar {with the metal-centered tie-tie} in the microwave to soften it and flames began to fly I realized that I'd made a stupid mistake (Mama always said not to put metal in the microwave). This is what the brown sugar looked like post fire and smoke alarms...actually, not too bad.



Overall, the brown sugar remained unscathed; only the plastic bag had melted and the flames were confined to the paper surrounding the metal on the tie-tie, so I proceeded with making The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever. Dr. Monogram Chick loves these cookies. He jokes that since they have oatmeal they are good for you. Seriously, speaking as a chocolate chip cookie aficionado, these rock. Try them and see what you think...I promise you'll love them too.


The Chick's Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup Crisco (if you buy the sticks, its 1 stick)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups oatmeal
6 oz. chocolate chips


Mix sugars and Crisco.

Add all other ingredients and mix well.

Place on cookie sheet (if you haven't been converted to a DeMarle fan, try it and you'll never go back to metal cookie sheets)

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes.
Remove from oven while still "mushy" as the cookies will continue to bake on sheet.

Try to refrain from eating the whole batch in one afternoon.



Isn't baking fun? Especially with a sweet reward at the end.

12 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

Love those!!!! And I do love that deMarle. I didn't know that's what it was until you said but I'm going to have to check those out!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

YUM! Those look fabulous. Oatmeal chocolate chip are my fave! :)

Monogram Queen said...

Oh dear - that sounds like something that would happen to me when I try to bake!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

OK these look sooooooooo yummy! I can practically smell them through my computer screen!!! I have to try this recipe.

~melody~

ko said...

yummy! That was too funny about the fire in the micro...the same thing happened to me today! I put a croissant into the microwave and it had a twist tie on the bag also!!! DUHHHHH
I think I'll make those cookie tomorrow!
yummy

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

Yum!! I actually happen to be partial to oatmeal cookies rather than plain chocolate chip (I know, I know). But, they are a little stronger, have some "bite" and yes, as the Dr. said, they have oatmeal--which means, I'm lowering my cholesterol, right? hee hee

mommaof4wife2r said...

yummo...and sorry for the stupid metal thingy. what an ordeal. love the plate!!!

The Pink Owl said...

Those look so good!

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Replying to your Comment: Yes, that's a bird in the first picture. That's why I had originally taken that picture. It was huge and looked like some kind of Eagle. And you're right, at least my man is back!

Love the plates by the way!

Pink Flamingo said...

YUM! Those cookies look and sound fantastic!

Will said...

I bet they would've been better with Raisins... :) I'm sure NW would've loved them then...WM

Muffy said...

OOOH! These look DELICIOUS! That plate is TOO CUTE!