Thursday, November 6, 2008

I've Been Thinking

Which is scary, I know. One of my favorite traditions that my mom, sister and I had while Katie and I were growing up was hosting a Mother/Daughter Holiday Cookie Exchange. Sadly, this year, since we live in Iowa, I won't be able to continue the tradition in my home but thought it would be fun to do an online Christmas Cookie Swap.

{I totally wanted to put a photo of the three of us here, but mom is not around this morning to email me a photo, this one will have to do} credits: Becky Luigart-Stayner

This is what I'm thinking...

I will take sign-ups here on the blog then I will match each person with 3 other people. Everyone will bake 3 dozen cookies and send 1 dozen cookies to each of their partners {along with the recipe, of course}. In the end, each person will have 3 dozen different cookies to share with friends and family during the busy holiday season.

Mom, Katie and I always had the rule that they have to be home baked cookies. No wimping out and running to the grocery story for bakery cookies or slice and bakes!

I'd love your feedback, would you want to participate, does this sound like a good idea? Let me know what you think.

16 comments:

Erin said...

Do you think they might go stale? Like, if the post office is running slow or something?

-E

Monogramchick said...

Good point, E.
What if we packaged them in zip lock bags, removing as much air as possible?

Sassy Engineer said...

I am definitely game! My mother-in-law and two sisters-in-law and I all get together one weekend in early December to bake away. It is a lot of fun, and I look forward to it each year. I would love to pass on some cookies to others. I'm not sure if they would get stale or not. I have actually mailed a pie before, but my mom used to send me cookies in college and they were always fine. Sign me up if you decide to do it :)

Kelli Radford said...

Sign me up! I would love to do it!

The Harmon's said...

I think this is a great idea, if you decide to do it I want to be on the list.

Amanda

Jill said...

I think it's a great idea. I was worried the cookies I mail would arrive broken. I guess, I'll have to pack them really tight. If you decide to do it, count me in.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I think I would be game...if you decide to do this...I will post it on my blog so more people can be involved...let us know what you do :)...what a neat idea!!! How fun!

Okay, monogram chick ...you will think I am crazy...but no kids allowed to help :)...that needs to be a rule :) he hee!
-sandy toes

K and/or K said...

I'm in!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Love you, love the blog...however, my partner would be really, really sad. She'd get Oreos.

:) Me no likey the baking so much...

Heather Grindstaff said...

love it! Im in!

5 Boys And Me said...

Love the idea - would just need some tips on mailing cookies that won't get broken - I'm sure there's a way!

Sarah said...

What a GREAT idea!! My sister-in-law always does a Christmas Cookie get together where we bake cookies all day...it's so much fun!!! I think the zip lock bag think would work! If you end up going for it count me in!! : )

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I would love to do this! I have a recipe that I was thinking of posting - and now I have a place to send my "cookies" that aren't exactly cookies! Yum.

I think that if they are sealed well in bags - and then bubble wrapped they would do okay through the post office...

nomo wino daph said...

Count me IN!!

You know if food is involved I am so there:)

Anyone bake organic??

Amy C said...

I would love to be involved in this. Every year growing up, my mom and Aunt would swap cookies through the mail and it was so exciting to get that package every year!!

Chris said...

I would love this! Sign me up.